In attempt to communicate with parents and the community, important documents will be kept here.

New Hope Community Consolidated School District #6

Educational Rights of Homeless Children & Youth

  1. The school's appointed homeless liaison will immediately enroll the homeless students. Records will be available in a timely fashion.

  2. The school's appointed homeless liaison will keep records of the enrollment, attendance, and services received of homeless child(ren) and youth and will report to the ROE in an end of the year report. The school's homeless liaison will continue the child or youth's education in the school of origin for the duration of homelessness unless doing so is contrary to the wishes of the child or youth's parent or guardian.

  3. The school's appointed homeless liaison would arrange transportation to the school of origin with the help of the two school districts involved.

  4. The school's appointed homeless liaison would report any disputes between school districts to the Regional Office of Education.

  5. The homeless families, children, and youth will receive educational services when such families, children, and youth are eligible, including Head Start, Even Start programs, preschool programs administered by the local education agency, referrals to health care services, dental services, mental health services, and other appropriate services.

  6. The parents or guardians of homeless children and youths are informed of the educational and related opportunities available to their child(ren) and are provided with meaningful opportunities to participate in the education of their child(ren).

  7. Public notice of the educational rights of homeless child(ren) and youth is disseminated where such children and youths receive services under this Act.

  8. The parent or guardian of a homeless child or youth and any unaccompanied youth is fully informed of all transportation services, including transportation to the school of origin.

  9. The school's homeless liaison shall inform school personnel, service providers, and advocates (working with homeless families) the rights and responsibility of homeless children and youth.

Students with Disabilities

Students with disabilities who do not qualify for an IEP may qualify for services under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 if the child: has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities; has a record of a physical or mental impairment; or is regarded as having a physical or mental impairment.